Sunday, March 11, 2007

Who killed off Starbuck?

This wasn't the most recent episode, but it did serve as a reminder that this isn't your father's Battlestar Galactica. I guess that means that it isn't my Battlestar Galactica, though I'm not a dad, since the original show was my favorite when I was a kid. In that show, there was really no way one of the major characters was going to get killed off. I don't even remember any of the minor characters dying.

This new show is far better, no doubt about it. It has much more to think about, plenty of character development for characters with believable flaws (no, the original Starbuck's womanizing doesn't count), and some dandy plot twists. Still, snuffing the one rebel in the otherwise squeaky clean Viper pilot corps seems very sad. Ok, "squeaky clean" isn't accurate, but you know what I mean.

They have left the door a bit open for the character to come back. The original series had a whole "help from above" routine that involved angels, Iblis and some "sufficiently advanced technology", as it were. It's possible the current series is going that way, too, especially since they've been dabbling in the mysticism message since about the beginning.

Anyway, I'm sad to see her go. I guess we'll see if she stays dead.

No comments: